1. Generally what is the topic you are interested in? Example: cancer and family support
2. Conduct some broad searching of the library's resources. Make note of ideas that you find interesting.
3. Refine your topic into a research question. Example: Does family support improve the health outcomes for cancer patients?
4. Generate a list of keywords that you might use to find research to answer your question.
5. Search broadly as well as more specifically in relevant databases or journals with your keywords, adding to your list.