Dartmouth faculty, students, and researchers can automate access to Web of Science (Wos) Data using the Web of Science Starter API.* It is the recommended access method for those who want to automate access to and conduct repeated queries of this data. Please see our Web of Science access page for other ways to access WoS data.
The Starter API offers access to the following Web of Science fields:
To read more about the information accessible via the Starter API, view the Starter API documentation page.
However, the Starter API does not provide access to:
For this data, you will need to use the WoS web interface or SQL database instead.
With the Starter API, each user is limited to:
* We also have access to the Web of Science Lite API. However, the Starter API is more comprehensive and better documented, thus it is our recommended API.
Dartmouth faculty, students, and staff need to acquire their own unique API Key to access the WoS Starter API. To request a Starter API Key:
1. Open the Web of Science Starter API webpage in a browser.
2. Select Log In at the bottom of the page and create a user account using your Dartmouth email (or log in if you already have one)
3. Clarivate, the analytics company that manages the Web of Science platform, will send you your API Key via email. The key is a 40-character string of numbers and letters. Store this key in a place you can easily find.
* Note: Please be aware that it may take a few days for Clarivate to send an API Key after receiving your request.
The Research Data Services team is in the process of creating some Python notebooks that users can use and adapt for accessing WoS data using the Starter API. Stay tuned for more information here....
In the meantime, for help using the API (once you have acquired a key), please contact us at: ResearchDataHelp@groups.dartmouth.edu.